Saturday, February 21, 2015

The First Lesson In Picking I Learned

Good morning. Just hanging out on my porch getting my day lined up a.k.a. looking for targets. Thought I would share something that works for me in my lessons in picking self taught style. One of the skills I have developed over time is spotting value in Mid Century stuff. To back track a little bit. When I first started picking, I picked anything I thought remotely had value. In other words it was worth more then I bought it for.

This meme really captures my attitude when I started. I guessed if there was value, then I brought it home and researched it, then I hoped to shine it up of repair it if needed and was tickled to make 10-30 dollars.

"I thought I could learn everything and be the expert on everything"


And with that attitude I picked, find it, guess its worth more, hope for success.

Here what I found that leads to. Stuff needing fixed to being sellable, money tied up in low value items that sat around forever and I had lost my enthusiasm for its potential. This meant also many appointments to make 20.00.

"After awhile I Learned knowing a little everything about a lot was less successful then knowing a lot about certain things."

So todays info is specialize. At every estate sale I meet the same people when there are certain items in the sale. They have developed their network on these area's to sell them and also it helps them buy the right things. There are military item pickers, glassware pickers, antique pickers etc. They know their area well enough to be successful and yes everyday all of us that specialize learn even more. For example:

I learned this week that in the 50's Precedent furniture by Drexel had two famous designers on board. In the 1953-1954 range Edward Wormley designed around a hundred pieces for them. After he left Milo Baughman did pieces for awhile for them.

 
That one piece of info gives my picking added value at some point down the road. I learn every week about what I specialize in.

Pick in and area you also have passion for is something that helps me. I love the Mid Century era and the stuff in it. I despise all new furniture except for some stuff. When I look at what is offered today with 36 month financing and is considered furniture it makes me want to throw up. I would rather have surface scratches on a mid century credenza holding up my T.V. then any new piece of crap made today in Asia.

Passion helps you in your picking, you may see I have some. Love what you do and it will never be a job. But if you want to be successful....specialize.

Have a great day...


By the way here is a picker I love learning from. The REDNECK PICKER. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment