Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Cool Adrian Pearsall Pick - Biomorphic Fun


Click Here!
As time goes by and focusing on mainly mid century furniture I have come to put the pieces I see in different categories. On the bottom are Ikea and Scan design type furniture. They go after the mid century market using newer versions of the classics and in my mind its like an Andy Warhol painting versus a Andy Warhol print. For my own personal taste a Corvette kit car is not a Corvette. Are there pickers who like and resell these pieces? Of course. Just my preference I am always looking for real 40-60 year old mid century stuff. If you are interested in this area check out Ikea Hackers for some great idea's. It obviously can be fun and profitable if you focus on this area, it's just not for me.

My hunt is always for 50's, 60's, and a few 70's pieces of mid century modern furniture. Broyhill,
Lane (one of my favorites) Bassett are just a few of the signatures I look for. These manufactures made some cool looking fun pieces of furniture in the mid century era. Most were made in the U.S.A. A BIG PLUS IN MY MIND, but they also worked with big named designers on some of their stuff.

Just one example is Drexel furniture line Precedent. These were made in the 50's had a very famous designer named Edward Wormley design around a 100 pieces for them. Drexel mid century is not really Danish modern in it's influences so normally a Drexel piece does not blow my skirt up. On the other hand the Edward Wormley stuff does....blow my skirt up. F.Y.I. Adrian Pearsall spent a little time with the Drexel Precedent furniture line also in 54.

So it pays to do research and learn history on these name brands to understand better who did what.

My favorite picks by far though are the real deal designer pieces with actual signatures or markings. Milo Baughman, Finn Juhl , Paul McCobb, Hans Wegner, Paul Evans, Adrian Pearsall are just a few of the people who influenced furniture design. When you find any real, not in the style of or attributed to, real deal pieces it makes me want to just explode. It is neat to see a piece of furniture in good condition and so beautiful. The prices on this stuff is going through the roof of course but after you find them I take the time to research them properly and learn everything possible about the person who designed it and why.
 
 
 
 
 
 
The above pictures are of a Biomorphic planter coffee table I picked this weekend. It is an actual Adrian Pearsall piece. You will see many copy's but this is one of the real ones. Actual value is always based on how long you want it to take to sell it. Sell it quick for around 500 or wait on someone willing to pay more.

Whatever you pick, learn it and you will make better decisions and that means more money. Happy picking!




























No comments:

Post a Comment